Dominic D’Agostino, an Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, and a Senior Research Scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), was just featured on Tim Ferriss’ wildly popular “The Tim Ferriss Show” Podcast, with much of the interview consisting of talk about ketosis!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Here are a few of the ketosis related topics you’ll hear discussed in the show:
- How Dom D’Agostino responds when someone asks him, “What do you do?” [5:28]
- How he was able to deadlift 10 reps of 500 pounds and 1 rep of 585 pounds after a 7 day fast [6:30]
- Research on advanced lifters in states of ketosis [12:13]
- Dom’s thoughts on getting big (hypertrophy) and strong while in a state of ketosis [15:53]
- How a “Modified Atkins” diet can minimize seizures, but also used to grow muscle [19:00]
- Defining ketones and ketosis [20:48]
- The implications of fasting, nutritional ketosis and/or exogenous ketones for preventing/mitigating the onset of neurodegenerative diseases [28:23]
- Defining cachexia, sarcopenia, anabolism, and catabolism [30:48]
- What levels of ketones are in the body during normal state for adults, in children, and in various states of ketosis [45:48]
- How to accelerate the induction of ketone production through use of exogenous ketones [49:18]
- How ketones keep the brain & body in homeostasis [51:00]
- Ketone esters [56:13]
- How the longer you’re on a ketogenic diet, the more benefits you can derive from it, because your body adapts to the state of ketosis [1:10:00]
- The benefits of eating exogenous ketones while in an environment filled with carbohydrates (i.e. while traveling in Italy) [1:16:08]
- What a traveling ketogenic breakfast looks like [1:20:43]
- Reasons for using glutamine [1:25:08]
- Does Dominic consider himself a “nutritionist”? [1:32:18]
- Thoughts on therapeutic fasting [2:03:03]
- Observations of people who experiment with fasting [2:08:23]
- Describing the risks and toxicities of consuming a cocktail of exogenous ketones [2:14:33]
- Unusual foods or beverages that spike ketone levels [2:22:45]
- Top resources for learning more about a ketogenic diet [2:41:33]
- The effect of ketosis on mitochondria [2:53:18]
Visit the blog post on Tim Ferriss’ website for links to everything referred to throughout the show.